Print this recipe
Save to disk
Full version with graphics
Pear and Date Salad Starter
This recipe is in categories Healthy eating, Party food, Salads, Snacks, Starters,
About this recipe:
Comments: Just take care cutting the pears in half.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: No cooking required
Number of servings: 4
Serving suggestions: Serve with lovely warm bread
This is a vegetarian recipe
Also lovely as a light lunch – especially when the first pears are ready and the sun is still warm enough to eat in the garden!
You may use whichever nuts you choose – pine nuts are good for instance – although walnuts are more traditional.
- 2 ripe eating pears
- 1 small crisp lettuce, washed.
- 80g (3oz) chopped dates
- 45g (2oz) chopped walnuts
- a little parsley chopped
- a little lemon juice
- mayonnaise or French dressing
Making and cooking it
- Peel and cut the pears in half
- Sprinkle with a little lemon juice to stop them going too brown
- Use a sharp spoon to take out the core, then scoop out a little of the flesh to make a hollow
- Chop the flesh and mix with dates, walnuts, chopped parsley and a little of the lettuce finely chopped
- Add in some mayonnaise or French dressing to your taste
- Arrange some small crisp lettuce leaves on 4 plates, place the pears on top, hollowed out side up
- Spoon into each pear the date and nut mixture to make a little heap in the hollow
- Garnish with a little sprig of parsley