Print this recipe
Save to disk
Full version with graphics
Submitted by: Charlie Churms
This recipe is in categories Baking, Party food, Picnic, Snacks,
About this recipe:
Comments: There is a lot of work needed with knives, as well as cooking in a hot oven. These are more suitable for older children to make.
Preparation Time: 25 minutes
Cooking Time: 25 minutes or until a crispy brown.
Number of servings: 12
Serving suggestions: Mabey bring them along to a picnic or a party.
Sausage rolls are very popular at parties and picnics; home made ones being much tastier than commercial ones. Using home made butchers' sausages would makes these even tastier.
- 500g puff pastry
- 400g sausages
- 1 beaten egg
- hand full of plain flour
- 180○ oven
Making and cooking it
- To start, sprinkle flour on your clean work surface so that the pastry doesn't stick. Also, put some flour on the rolling pin
- Roll the pastry out and make it at least 2mm thick and make it a rectangular shape
- Now, get a sausage and peel the skin off with the sharp knife and do the same on each one
- Place them out on the pastry and cut with the sharp knife 12cm beneath them
- On the far edge opposite the sausages, dip the pastry brush in the egg and run it along the side of the pastry closest to you
- Roll the sausage and pastry towards you making a tube shape
- Cut each each tube into 4, then using the sharp knife, make 3 cuts in the pastry of every sausage roll
- Cover the top and sides of them in egg and place them on a non stick tray
- Put the tray in a pre heated oven at 180○ for 25 minutes or until crispy brown