Chilli and Rice
Chilli and Rice
Ingredients for the Chilli.
Top and tail the onion.
Peel the onion.
Cut the onion in half and lay it face down.
Slice the onion horizontally and then vertically to chop it into small pieces.
Repeat with the second half.
Peel the garlic.
Slice the pepper length ways.
Use a knife to cut away the core of the pepper.
Remove the core and all seeds.
Put the pepper flat side down and slice long ways.
Hold the strips and cut across them to dice the pepper.
Add the oil to the pan.
Add the onion to the oil.
Add the garlic, using a garlic crusher.
Open the chilli beans.
Rinse the beans in a colander.
Sweat the onions and garlic down on the hob.
Add the mince and brown it.
Add the flour and mix in well.
Add the stock and stir in well.
Add the chilli beans.
Add the chilli powder and tomato puree, mix well and heat to thicken.
Add the rice to the boiling water.
Cover and simmer for 25 minutes.
Drain the rice.
Serve the rice with chilli or with curry.
Skills required: using the hob, preparing vegetables, measuring,
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 30-35 minutes
Number of servings: Serves 4
Serving suggestions: Serve with green side salad.
This is a good basic chilli recipe, it is quite mild. You can make the dish hotter by adding more chilli powder or by adding some fresh chopped chilli pepper. If you make the chilli too hot, you can serve it with a little natural yoghurt to cool it down.
If you want to make a vegetarian version, add green and yellow peppers and some soya mince. We have included the instructions for cooking it with rice but you could have the chilli with a jacket potato, wrap or in a pitta instead.
- 500g beef mince
- can of kidney beans
- 1 red pepper
- 1 onion
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 tablspoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 1/2 pint stock
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 1 flat teaspoon chilli powder
- brown rice, allow 60g per person, 240g for 4 people.
- Vegetable knife
- Chopping board
- 2 x Saucepan (you could use a deep frying pan for the chilli)
- Wooden spoon
- Tin opener
- Garlc crusher
- Jug (for stock)
To make the chilli:
- Peel and chop the onion
- Peel the garlic and put it in the crusher
- De-seed and chop the pepper
- Warm the oil in a pan, add the onion, crushed garlic and sweat them down
- Drain the kidney beans
- Add the mince to the pan and brown it
- Add the flour and stir well
- Add the stock and heat until the sauce thickens
- Reduce the heat and add the kidney beans, tomato puree, chilli powder and peppers
- Simmer for about 15 minutes until the peppers are tender
To cook the brown rice: Check the cooking time needed on the rice packet
- Add the rice to boiling water
- Cover and simmer for 25 minutes
- Drain the rice, allow to stand for a few minutes
- Use a fork to separate the grains and serve
If you tried this recipe and liked it, tell us about it
|Required fields are bold|