Print this recipe
Save to disk
Full version with graphics
Bean and Chickpea Salad
This recipe is in categories Romano-British, Healthy eating, Salads, Side dishes, Vegetarian,
About this recipe:
Comments: Take care with topping and tailing the beans.
Preparation Time: 10-15 minutes
Cooking Time: None
Number of servings: This will serve 2 as a main dish or 4 as a side dish.
Serving suggestions: Serve with grilled fish or cream cheese with brown bread
This is a vegan recipe
This salad dish would be part of the first course (or Gustatio). Light, easily digestible foods such as fish and vegetables were served in a variety of ways; they were often spiced or highly flavoured. Dishes in the Gustatio could be both hot and cold. (See boiled beans.)
The main meal, at the end of the day, was eaten reclining on large couches. These meals were social occasions where guests could be entertained and a host could display his wealth and status.
This recipe was adapted from a cookbook written by Apicius.
For the main dish:
- 1 packet raw green beans (french or dwarf)
- 1 tin chickpeas
For the dressing:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red grape juice
- squeeze of lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
Making and cooking it
- Top and tail the green beans
- Chop into 1/2 cm pieces
- Drain and rinse the tinned chickpeas
- Combine the beans and chickpeas in a dish
- Mix the ingredients for the dressing in a small dish
- Add salt and pepper to taste
- Drizzle the dressing over the beans and chickpeas
- Mix well and serve