Print this recipe
Save to disk
Full version with graphics
This recipe is in categories Tudors, Desserts,
About this recipe:
Difficulty: not rated
Comments: A fairly simple dish but care needs to be taken not to fry too quickly, use a medium heat or the strips will burn.
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 5-10 minutes
Number of servings: Makes 10-15 fingers.
Serving suggestions: Serve hot.
This is a vegetarian recipe
Bread was a staple of the diet of both rich and poor people. This dish is fairly plain and would have been eaten by village yeomen or farmers. It would have been a treat for the very poor.
- rough grained brown bread, 2-3 slices
- grease/butter for cooking
- 2 eggs
Making and cooking it
- Cut the bread into small chunks
- Beat the eggs, honey and nutmeg together
- Add a little milk and beat
- Melt the fat or butter in a pan
- Dip the bread into the egg and milk mixture and place in the pan
- Pour the rest of the mixture over the bread in the pan
- Allow to fry gently until the mixture sets