Print this recipe
Save to disk
Full version with graphics
This recipe is in categories Interwar Years, Party food, Picnic, Snacks,
About this recipe:
This is an easy recipe to make - you just need to be careful with the baking at the end.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Number of servings: 12 - 15 muffins
Serving suggestions: Warm with morning coffee, afternoon tea or cold in a lunch box.
This is a vegetarian recipe
This recipe was popular in the Interwar years and variations appeared in several cookery books.
You can use different flavourings (mustard for instance helps to enhance the cheese flavour) and add chopped olives or tomatoes if wished - fun to experiment.
These can also be made in small confectionery (sweet) cases and baked for 8-10 mins for a party.
- 3oz (90g) of flour
- 1 oz (30g) of grated cheese
- 1/2 teaspoonful salt
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- pinch of paprika
- 1 egg
- 1/4 pint (0.14l) milk
1 oz = 28.35g rounded up in this recipe to 30g
1 UK pint = 0.568 Litres
Making and cooking it
- Preheat the oven to hot (200C)
- Beat the egg lightly
- Stir in the milk
- Add a pinch of paprika and stir
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt together
- Stir in grated cheese
- Pour the liquid into the flour mixture and stir
- Then beat hard
- Well grease muffin (patty) tins
- Spoon in mixture, only filling them half full
- Sprinkle grated cheese over the top
- Bake in a hot oven for 20 minutes