Print this recipe
Save to disk
Full version with graphics
Pineapple and Rhubarb Marmalade
This recipe is in categories Edwardians and WW1, Breakfast, Picnic,
About this recipe:
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 30-35 minutes
Ideal for an Edwardian breakfast or picnic.
- ½ 1b fresh pineapple
- 1 lb rhubarb
- juice of 1 ½ - 2 oranges (depending on size)
- 10 oz (283g) sugar for every pint of pulp (these quantities made almost exactly a pint of pulp when the recipe was tested)
This makes 1 standard sized pot of marmalade, increase ingredients in the same ratios according to the amount required.
We tried two recipes for this marmalade. The second recipe suggested removing the outer skin of the rhubarb. This made a lighter pink coloured marmalade that spread better. With the outer skin left on the marmalade is darker as in the pictures.
1 oz = 28.35g
Making and cooking it
- Cut a fresh pineapple into small chunks
- Place in a pan and cook in its own juice until tender
- Cut double the quantity of rhubarb to the amount of pineapple you have and stew with the juice of two oranges for about 5 minutes
- Add the pineapple to the rhubarb and cook together for another 5 minutes
- Add the sugar and boil for 20 minutes
- The finished mixture should be a pretty pink colour
- Store in small pots in a cool place