Print this recipe
Save to disk
Full version with graphics
Boiled Egg with Soldiers
This recipe is in categories Postwar / Modern, Breakfast, Healthy eating, Vegetarian,
About this recipe:
Comments: Timing is important if you want to be able to dip your bread soldiers.
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: about 15-20 minutes altogether
Number of servings: 1
Serving suggestions: Serve with toast soldiers or bread.
This is a vegetarian recipe
Eggs were rationed during the Second World War. Powdered eggs were sometimes available but often eggs were scarce. In the 1950's, after rationing ceased, eggs became very popular.
The advertising slogan "Go to work on an egg" was used by the 'British Egg Marketing Board' to popularise eating eggs and portray them as a healthy food. The adverts starred Tony Hancock, a very popular comedian at the time. The slogan was introduced in 1957 and was turned into a series of television adverts in 1965 which ran until 1971. However, the ads were recently banned from being re-shown for their 50th anniversary by the advertising watchdog the 'Broadcast Advertising Clearance Centre' because they breached health guidelines by not suggesting a 'varied diet'.
More recent concerns over cholesterol in eggs means they are now recommended to be eaten occasionally as part of a much more varied diet. In the 1950's, however, as well as a breakfast food, Boiled Egg with Soldiers was also a popular choice for teatime. Eggs were seen as a healthy food providing plenty of vitamins and minerals including calcium for teeth and bones.
Making and cooking it
- Half fill a small pan with cold water. Gently put in your whole, raw egg
- Bring the water to the boil. As soon as it begins to boil, time your egg for 3 minutes (3- minutes makes a soft boiled egg, 5- minutes a solid egg)
- While you are waiting for the water to boil, either toast and butter the bread or just butter it, or you could just leave it plain
- Slice the bread or toast into strips. Put these on a small plate with an egg cup and a teaspoon
- Once your egg has cooked for 3 minutes, remove it and put into the egg cup and serve imediately