Print this recipe
Save to disk
Full version with graphics
This recipe is in categories Postwar / Modern, Baking, Main courses, Picnic,
About this recipe:
If you use ready made pastry this is a very quick and simple dish to make.
20 mins-pie shell, 40 mins quiche
Number of servings:
Serve with salad and new potatoes.
Quiches were first introduced in the late 1950's. Sweet custard tarts had been common in Britain and quiches caught on quickly and have remained a favourite ever since. Margueritte Patten demonstrated how to make quiche on BBC television and her demonstrations helped to poularise new foods and cooking ideas. Food shows became very popular as Britain began to leave the lean, war years behind. The fillings for your quiche can be varied; try adding roasted vegetables, mushrooms or salmon.
- 8oz (225g) shortcrust pastry (wholemeal is particularly nice)
For the filling:
- 2-3 slices chopped ham or cooked bacon
- 4-6 oz grated cheese, cheddar or gruyere
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 200 ml milk or 150ml milk and 50 ml single cream
- salt and pepper to season.
Making and cooking it
- Preheat the oven to 200C, Gas 6
- Roll out the pastry and line the flan dish
- Bake the pastry case blind for 15-20 minutes. To do this prick the bottom of the case with a fork and then sprinkle in ceramic cooking beads or dry bread beans. This will stop the base rising.
- Remove the pastry case and take out the beans/beads and set aside
- Turn down the oven to 160 C, Gas 3
- Beat the eggs and add the milk/cream, mix in the chopped ham and most of the cheese (leave a little to sprinkle on the top)
- Pour into your pastry case, sprinkle the remaining cheese on the top and bake for 35-40 minutes
Note: If you have too much mixture let the quiche cook a little, the level will sink and you can add the rest of the mixture.
- You may prefer to make lots of mini quiches for a party or picnic
- Use a mug to cut small rounds from the rolled out pastry
- Place them in the dips of a fairy cake tin
- Spoon a little of the egg mixture into each case, sprinkle the top with cheese and bake for 15-20 minutes