History Cookbook: Beef Hash Fritters
Beef Hash Fritters
Cold, salt beef. You could use cold, cooked beef instead.
Roughly crush the potatoes.
Crush all the cooked, cold potatoes are into a large bowl.
Chop the salt beef into small pieces.
Add the salt beef to the potato and set aside.
Chop the onion finely.
Dry fry the onions.
Add the cooked onions.
Add a little milk to bind the mixture.
Heat a little margarine or oil in a frying pan.
Put the mixture in the pan and flatten. You will need to turn the heat to very low now, so it heats through and does not burn. Or you can make small potato cakes and cook these faster.
Once the cake is hot through and begins to brown, use 2 fish slices to turn it and brown the other side.
Comments: This is easy to assemble. It is difficult to manage one large potato cake, you can make it easier by making several small cakes.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes, need to have cooked the potatoes in advance
Cooking Time: 40 minutes
Number of servings: 6-8 servings
Serving suggestions: Serve hot with seasonal vegetables.
This recipe makes use of left over boiled potatoes and cold beef. We have used salt beef in this version. Tinned meat such as corned beef and spam were commonly used in wartime recipes.
The quantities can be varied and any cold meat can be used. This dish works well with 1/4 lb (about 100g) of meat but you might want to add some herbs to add flavour.
- 450g (1lb) cold salt beef ( you can use less meat than this and the dish will still work well)
- 450g (1lb) cold cooked potatoes
- salt and pepper
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 25g (1oz) margarine or a dessertspoon of oil
- Weighing scales
- Chopping board
- Measuring jug
- Mixing bowl
- Frying pan
- Wooden spatula
- Fish slices
- Mince the salt beef and mix it with the cold potatoes (these should be crumbled but not mashed)
- Dry fry the onions and add to the mixture
- Season with salt and pepper
- Add enough milk to moisten, and stir until all are well mixed together
- Make the margarine hot in a large frying pan
- Spread the mixture to fill the pan and put on a low gas, where it can cook slowly (or make several small cakes)
- Cook gently for 40-45 minutes or 12 minutes for small cakes
- Turn the cakes (you can turn the large cake using 2 fish slices)
- Serve hot
Beef Hash Fritters - print view
If you tried this recipe and liked it, tell us about it
Add a comment
|Name: Alex Felde||16th February 2017|
|same here ww2 project for a recepie|
|Name: Christine Dyer||24th January 2015|
|Or: Corned beef dipped in batter and fried.|
|Name: Corey Shepherd||23rd November 2013|
|i need this for a ww2 project at school|
|Required fields are bold|