History Cookbook: Cheese and Pineapple Hedgehog
Comments: This is a very simple recipe with no cooking required.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: None
Number of servings: Allow 3-4 sticks per person.
Serving suggestions: Serve as part of a party menu.
This is a party food recipe. Cheese, tiny pickled onions, mini sausages and pineapple chunks are put on cocktail sticks and arranged stuck into half a grapefruit. Party food in the 1970's was fun and often used convenience foods to make preparation quick and easy. This recipe reflects this trend.
It is called a hedgehog because the cocktail sticks resemble the spines on a hedgehog.
- half a grapefruit
- 20-30 cocktail sticks
- some of the following: tinned pineapple chunks, cubed cheese, mini cooked sausages, silverskin pickled onions
- a piece of aluminium foil
- Cocktail sticks
- Aluminum foil
- Large knife
- Wrap the half grapefruit in the tin foil, all the edges should be tucked under the cut surface of the fruit
- Place the grapefruit, cut-side down on a plate
- Push a cube of cheese (for example) onto one end of the cocktail stick and push the other end into the grapefruit
- Continue to thread the pieces of food onto the sticks, you may try some together eg onion and cheese, or keep each item separate
- Keep chilled until needed. This does not keep and should be used on the day it is made
If you tried this recipe and liked it, tell us about it
Add a comment
|Name: Dasia||18th September 2011|
|A few years ago I'd have to pay someone for this information|
|Name: Steph||5th June 2010|
|Required fields are bold|